So...I started making this before I thought to take pictures for a tutorial...sorry...so there are no pictures for the strap or measuring/cutting.
1. Measure your scriptures/book. I opened it up and laid it flat on the fabric. I then traced the book adding about 1/2 inch all the way around. I cut two pieces of this shape.
2. I then cut two pieces for the pockets which the book covers slide into. I think I did 3 3/4 inches for each one.
3. I made a strap piece. I cut a long piece of fabric and a coordinating fabric. I am sorry I don't remember how long. Just measure a piece to your liking and double the width. Fold the fabric in half with right sides together. Straight stitch. With a safety pin hook and close it to one side and turn the "tube" of fabric so right sides face out. Iron it flat with the seam at the back. Then sew another tube with the coordinating fabric (I made this thinner than my first piece) and sew it on top of the first tube of fabric. This is optional of course. To close the strap I sew it right sides together and then sewed the sides next to the seam... but since it is sewn to the case you don't need to do that second step....OR you could just use strap material and skip this step almost completely. :)
4. Sew the strap to one of the large case pieces. I measured where the middle was and pinned it on as evenly as possible. I stopped sewing a few inches from each side so that the straps were not sewn completely from end to end...you will see why in a minute.
6. Sew just the long sides together leaving the ends open.
8. Slide your book into the sleeves. Try it open and try it closed to make sure it will all fit nicely and that you measured correctly.
If you have enough room you can cut the ends with pinking shears to make it cleaner.
Voila! You are done!
For my son's case I used a stretchy faux leather. I followed similar steps but I didn't add contrasting fabric to the straps and I only used one layer of fabric for the case instead of two.
Oh...and I linked this tutorial to here...go check it out and link your own project! :)
and entered this here: http://www.remodelaholic.com/2010/04/if-you-are-featured-during-week-please.html