It’s no secret my daughter love cats. So when I found the cutest little purse on clearance at Target, I knew she’d love it. And that she’d love it even more if I critter-ized it.
So, I pulled out my leather and yarn scraps and crafted up a quick easy, kitty cat purse hack.
- plain purse
- leather glue*
- leather, felt or pleather scraps
- heavy duty scissors
- acrylic paint**
- jump rings and scraps of chain
- needle nose pliers
- scraps of yarn
- clear drying fabric glue
* I used fabric glue that is rated for leather. It holds fine, but not as well as I had hoped. With a few good hard yanks, you could probably still rip the ears off. Gorilla glue, or leather specific glue may give you more lasting results.
** A high quality acrylic paint gives a smoother, more opaque application that holds up well without a clear sealant. I used Reeve’s acrylic paint.
1. Cut away any purse details not apart of the final design.
2. Cut out ears and nose pieces from scraps of felt, leather, or pleather and glue them in place.
3. Paint on eye and whisker details.
4. Add yarn ball zipper pull.
– I attached two jump rings to both ends of a small 1 inch piece of chain.
– I tied one jump ring with some yarn and wrapped a yarn ball around it. A yarn ball this small can be hard to manage. The needle nose pliers help a lot. Once my yarn ball looked how I wanted, I glued key parts of it together with the clear fabric glue and cut it away from the skein.
– I opened up the other jump ring, as pictured, and secured it to the zipper.
A cute little ball of yarn for the kitty cat. =^.^=
Well, I was right. She’s one happy cat.
Having a cute way to tote around your five flavors of chapstick. What more could a girl want?