Today's project is one I am really in love with. It's inspired by this art from Cheri from I am Momma Hear Me Roar.
Mine cost a little more because I used a stretched canvas, but the idea is the same.
I typed up one of my favorite hymns and then printed it as an engineer print at Staples for just over $3.50. The thing about engineer prints is that the toner can sometimes print a little unevenly. I just went with it and didn't expect this project to turn out pristine. The imperfections add a little handmade character after all.
Speaking of imperfections...
I typed this song up from memory and got one key word wrong! Props to you if you can spot it. It's only in this picture, because I went in and patched it with the right word later.
EDITED TO ADD: Actually two! Thanks to one of my readers who pointed out the misspelling of "safety" as well Oh boy... :) More patching for me.
Okay...back to the how to.
I glued the paper to the canvas and let it dry. I used clear glue but I regret not digging into my drawers for the mod podge. It still worked fine, but was on the wrinkly side.
While the paper was drying, I painted black paint around the perimeter of the canvas.
When everything was good and dry, I covered the whole canvas, sides and front, with gel medium. This protects the paper and adds a nice clear texture to it. It also disguised my word patch very nicely.
Now we have a nice statement piece for our living room, which also serves as a visual reminder of the potential of our home if we live up to it.
I am not done with our living room though. You can see the pile of fabric to the left. I'm making tons of throw pillows to help soften up our couches (which are a crazy story by themselves which I'll share later. Yes...white with three kids is nuts...later).
If you are interested in grabbing a copy of the image I used for my canvas, simply right click and save the image below.
For personal use only.
It's sized to 2 ft. by 3 ft. and I have fixed the spelling and wrong word mistakes. :) Enjoy!