It's week three, the white sheet challenge! Our task was to make a look from one white bed sheet.
This has been the toughest week for me yet. After a few late nights and make it work moments, I finally made this cute little number for Natalie in gray and peach, which is why I named it:
It's a tunic length dress with pin tucked pleating in the front and back...
...with a fun circle skirt and a big, bold peach/pink button in the back.
The peek a boo triangle in the back, took a bit more work than I originally thought it would. To keep the skirt from sagging at the cut out, I sewed in an elastic strip, which worked perfectly.
Once the bodice was sewn and the skirt cut, I dyed it dark gray. Because my particular bed sheet is 50 percent cotton and 50 percent polyester, it dyed in a way I didn't expect. It gave it an almost denim like effect, because cotton absorbs dye more readily and polyester, less.
The shorts are my favorite part. Using some plain shorts as a pattern, I widened the waist and pant legs, created casings at the waist and legs, and gathered it with elastic.
Then I dyed the shorts plus some extra scraps for the bow, peach. Dye is such a tricky technique, so I was really happy when this color came out like I had hoped.
The whole outfit is a totally different look and color story than I started with. I hit a few mental road blocks along the way, but it all worked out pretty great.
I think Natalie looks really sweet in it. The shortened dress/top is perfect for allowing her to crawl a little easier.
I love the shorts and bow the best. Even though the french knots took FOREVER, it's a technique I will likely repeat again because it's so darn pretty.