It's week five of Project Run & Play! Just one more week until the finale. I feel so lucky to have made it this far.
This week the theme is fall holiday. Now, that could mean ANY holiday. National circle day for instance. I considered that one, but ended up choosing the major players: Halloween and Thanksgiving. Yep...both.
I'll show you what I mean.
Let's start with Halloween, since I named my look after the Halloween version of my ensemble this week:
I've always liked butterflies, and thought it would be a cute baby costume for Natalie this year, especially since she is sitting and crawling all the time.
When I brought that up to my biologist husband he reminded me that there is a butterfly genus called Delias. That clinched it. She was meant to be my little butterfly.
I created a look for Natalie inspired by other Delias butterflies, and made her a new species: Delias natalius. So dorky, so perfect. :)
I created cut outs that are highlighted by the white cotton under skirt I made from the bottom of an old blouse.
The bodice of the dress has a peter pan collar, long gathered peasant style sleeves, and five buttons up the back to close it all up. The orange part of the dress is made from a Picante orange linen blend fabric I got from Joann.
Now onto the wings.
I created two felt framework pieces from scratch and sandwiched in a piece of white chiffon which I painted to look like butterfly wings. I also added some thin wire around the whole set of wings and some plastic tubing in the middle to help the wings keep their shape. It was all glued together with hot glue, except for the elastic straps which were sewn on.
I swear they are on evenly but the way the elastic folds and bends, one strap lays one way and the other lays another way when not being worn.
I almost made the wings apart of the dress, but after she choked on a leaf and threw up on the front of her dress, I knew making it a separate accessory was the right choice.
This messy moment led our photo shoot back home in front of our all too familiar back fence. But as Tim Gunn says, "Make it work!" So we did. :) (It doesn't look like much, but in the folds of the dress...it surely was.)
Now for the hat. Instead of antennae, I made Natalie a very simple crocheted mesh hat from my own pattern. The mesh aspect of the hat gives it an insect feel without being too literal and still adds some warmth to the costume.
To balance the hat, I added some store bought black tights which help the teal in the diaper cover and shoes pop really nicely.
Now for my favorite part..the shoes! Using this show pattern I used in week 2, I spiced it up and made a different version. This time I shaped the sole and shoe upper to fit Natalie's foot more closely, and added an ankle strap.
I used some teal leather I cut out of an old thrifted purse. When I cut the purse open, there was some weird foam batting adhered to all the leather. It kept puffing out particles of dust? or lint? every time I picked it up, so I knew I needed to line it. Gray felt happened to work just perfect. I lined all the teal leather and then used brown leather scraps leftover from a thrifted jacket to make the soles.
This is without a doubt my favorite piece all season...or maybe of ever.
When making the change from Halloween butterfly costume to Thanksgiving dinner attire, I simply removed the butterfly accessories and added some sweet little striped tights I made using Made by Rae's baby tights tutorial. If you think leggings are fun to sew...tights are just as much if not more fun. I look forward to making more soon!
I also made a knit diaper cover from an old tank top.
I had to get creative with how I used the limited amount of fabric, but just had to incorporate it since its the perfect color.
It's comfortable, yet nice enough for an important family dinner.
Or the Halloween version:
Remember to go VOTE for your favorite look HERE.
The voting poll is on the left side and will remain open until 10 PM, Sunday night.
Have a beautiful fall weekend!