Dairy Free & Soy Free Buttercream Frosting

As I mentioned yesterday, my daughter is allergic to dairy and eggs and is intolerant to soy.

For her first birthday I made her a dairy, soy, egg free cake!

The recipe for the cupcake is from a great blogger called The Milk Allergy Mom.

It tastes surprisingly good, but very sweet and sugary. Just what you want in a cake though right?

She recommends a dairy free canned frosting which Natalie probably would have been okay with since she is only intolerant to soy (or so it seems right now). I didn’t want to take a chance that she could develop an itchy rash or a tummy ache on her birthday however, so I did my best to come up with a soy free and dairy free frosting recipe of my own.

I used my favorite America’s Test Kitchen Cookbook vanilla frosting recipe as a base and then experimented with different ingredients to turn it into something allergy free for Natalie.

I was really hoping it would turn out alright the first time, since the butter substitute is kind of pricey. Lucky for me, it did and beautifully too.

The ingredients are simple:

2 TBSP coconut cream
1 tsp vanilla
2 TBSP dairy free milk (almond milk, coconut milk)
pinch of salt
1 1/4 c. dairy and soy free butter
3 1/4 cups of powdered sugar, plus extra just in case

You really don’t taste the coconut cream too much, but it helps balance the sugar and adds fats.

Earth Balance also has a dairy free (but not soy free) butter variety that is about the same price. I got mine at Walmart in the butter/margarine section.

- First, you’ll want to mix the coconut cream, vanilla, salt, and non-dairy milk.

Note: Like I mentioned earlier, this was an experiment that turned out well. I think you could easily omit the non-dairy milk. The cream mixture will look thick but the non-dairy/non-soy butter doesn’t need as much moisture to loosen it up as real butter does. If you omit the non-dairy milk, you will need to reduce the amount of sugar to about 3 cups. The flavor may not be as rich as well.

- Now, take your rotary beaters and beat the butter until smooth.
- Add your powdered sugar in batches of about 1/2 cup to 1 cup.
- Once combined, add the coconut cream mixture. Whip on high for 2-3 minutes or until the mixture gets glossy. It will be fairly loose and not ideal for piping onto a cake yet. If it is runny, add more sugar until the frosting is thick but loose.
- Refrigerate until hard. Then whip it again with your rotary beaters for a few second. Don’t over beat.

Now it’s ready to pipe or spread and enjoy!

Please note that this frosting must remain chilled! It melts quickly and does not hold it’s shape at room temperature.

I piped these cupcakes and refrigerated them until I was ready to serve them.

Most sprinkles are just sugar, so you can dress up this frosting with non-dairy flavors or with some easy sprinkles!

Here is the whole recipe for your convenience:

Dairy & Soy Free Butter Cream Frosting

2 TBSP coconut cream
1 tsp vanilla
2 TBSP dairy free milk (almond milk, coconut milk)
pinch of salt
1 1/4 c. dairy and soy free butter
3 1/4 cups of powdered sugar, plus extra

- Mix the coconut cream, vanilla, salt, and non-dairy milk.

- Beat butter with rotary beaters until smooth.
- Add powdered sugar in batches of about 1/2 cup to 1 cup.
- Once combined, add the coconut cream mixture. Whip on high for 2-3 minutes or until the mixture gets glossy. It will be fairly loose and not ideal for piping onto a cake yet. If it is runny, add more sugar until the frosting is thick but loose.

Pipe and spread as desired.
Keep chilled until ready to serve. Does not hold shape at room temperature.

Enjoy!

Comments

Thank you for that recipe! We have a bubba with a gluten and milk intollerance and not long have discovered both so we are struggling to find a full diet for a fussy toddler! I’m slowly finding more and more meal ideas now that I understand what contains what! I tell ya, my oldest with her egg, colorings, tomato, avocado and Parmesan allergies was easier then this milk and gluten!

Thanks Delia! My 16 month old son is also allergic to milk, soy and eggs (and peanuts as well). It’s so fun to see a recipe that he can try too! I love love love your blog-thank you for all your creative inspiration:)

Thanks for this recipe and an introduction to the Milk Allergy Mom’s blog. My daughter (now 5) is allergic to dairy, egg, and most other proteins (fortunately not soy). I can usually make a great vegan cake, but have struggled with a good icing.

Oh thank you!, After two boys with milk allergies and gluten, I think my eight month’s daughter can have the same problem. This is the best for her birthday party in June.

Karla- dinner at your place must be a puzzle! Glad to help!

Cassie – thank you! :) I’m sorry he has allergies too. Here’s to hoping our kids grow out of this!

Arielcaitlin- Isn’t it so tricky? Glad she isn’t allergic to soy. Soy is in a lot of things!!

CARU – I am so sorry that all your kids have allergies. Gluten is a tough one too I hear. You are super mom!

Thanks for this! My 5 year old daughter is also allergic to dairy, eggs, and soy (as well as all nuts and citrus). Her birthday is next month and I am in need a frosting recipe for her birthday cake so this is perfect!

Wow! That looks amazing — and you are awesome to go to such great lengths to make her that frosting. I am counting my blessings that my only food issue is lactose intolerance.

OMG! Delia these look delicious! I will definitely try them out!
    I just wanted to let you know that babies with allergies have a choice! My daughter had milk, egg and other allergies and I have been treating them since september with this amazing alternative medicine technique http://www.naet.com I really recommend you look for a practitioner near you, it has definitely changed her life, and I am next! 35 years is too long to be living with allergies.
    Hope it helps to all of your visitors. Thank you sooo much for all your tutorials and everything! oh, and happy bday to your little one ;)

Thanks for posting this! My daughter is only 7.5 months so she hasn’t started solids yet (soon!), but we found out she has a diary and soy intolerance (maybe an allergy) through my breast milk and it’s been quite a shock to have to completely take them out of my diet. I never knew how many things soy was in!!! I really miss cookies and cake (and yogurt and cheese and ….). I can’t wait to try this. And here’s hoping our kids grow it of it. I’ve been told that the more diligent I am at avoiding those proteins the better chance she’ll grow out of it. I hope so, I really feel for people with allergies after this experience!

Thank you so much for this recipe! I have been stressed out on what to do for our daughters 1st birthday! She has FPIES and serious allergies to milk and soy! Which is in everything! If it's not milk, it's soy or both :( but this is amazing! Will be sharing it with our allergist to hand out to other parents.

11. Angie says

Thank you for sharing. You said it does not hold up well. I am looking to use this frosting in the middle of a whole cake.What do you think?

• says

As long as you keep it cold it should do fine. I found that when it reached room temperature, it started to melt and droop a little. So if you just spread it on, it should be okay. If you want the fancy piped look, keep it chilled and serve immediately. The reason for this is the margarine base, which doesn’t hold up well when warm. You could try to do half butter and half vegetable shortening. I have never done this, so I am not sure how it would do in flavor or consistency but I would guess that, that would help it keep it’s shape at room temperature. Maybe try a small test batch? Or you can use pillsbury frostings. Read the labels of course, but most of them are dairy free. They are not soy free and they are full of chemicals. But they are dairy free. Good luck!