Sharpie Doodle Onsies

I was going onsie shopping the other day and could not for the life of me find more than a few onsies that I liked.

I like pink but I don’t like to inundate my daughter’s wardrobe with the color. I am also picky about what her onsies say. I admit that I am not the most enjoyable shopping partner. I am always up for a crafting project though! :)

So, I just grabbed a pack of white onsies and some fabric sharpies and decided that I’ll just doodle my way out of this issue.

I did a test run on a too small, stained onsie and found that trying to write on knit is tricky. The fabric pulls and the whole thing can end up looking chinzy and messy if you’re not careful.

I stuck with simple dots and hashes. I didn’t space them evenly (because I often mess up intentional perfection …ironic) and just let it flow organically, eye-balling it as I went.

(Just have to mention, her skin is a bit red because we are still working through her allergy situation)

I did write a tiny message on the small of her back because I couldn’t resist.

Then I took a risk and tried some random constellations. They are not scaled or correctly placed at all, but it turned out better than I thought. I kind of love it.

It does make my bald baby girl look a little boyish. She doesn’t help herself by preferring cars over dolls. ;) I guess I shouldn’t be surprised since she has two older brothers. She loves to wrestle and growl too. Don’t worry grandmas ;), she loooves purses, twirling, and dancing too.

While writing this post it just occurred to me that I should ruch the necklines to make them more girly – aha! Go HERE for the tutorial on that. It’s super quick and girly-fies any onsie or knit top.

I thought about dyeing them before doodling, which would amp up of the results, but I have to say I hate dyeing. I avoid it until completely necessary.

My boys’ spring break is coming up. I’m thinking of letting them decorate T-shirts with the sharpies. Kind of like the freezer paper stencil versions we did HERE and HERE, but much less work on my part! :)

My little photo bomber hopes you’re having an awesome day!

P.S. These wash pretty well. I heat set them with a hot iron before washing just to be safe. I haven’t had too much fading (barely any) but would be lying if I said there was absolutely none. :)

Update: You can now purchase the materials to make this project in a kit from Amazon.com.
Click on the button below to learn more!

Comments

This is such a clever idea! We're getting ready for the birth of our second girl and I may need to do something like this to spruce up some of our onesies. Btw…I don't know how anyone could call a little girl who has such long pretty eyelashes a boy! Natalie's delicate little features scream "girl"!!!

(But, having had a girl who was bald most of her first year,

Love it! We've been coloring on t-shirts too! (and everything else truth be told) You could always stabilize the inside with freezer paper so it wouldn't stretch while writing………c.

Michele – Aww thanks! She is very dainty, albeit also very spunky too. :)

Carol and Dan – I could hug you! What a great idea. I will definitely do that with my boys. If I blog about it I'll credit you! I originally wanted to draw stripes and let the hand drawn mess ups add character, but it turned reaaaly messed up. ;)

Thanks Olga!

Cute! I love the tiny message on the dotted version. =)
    I really don't like dyeing things either… in theory, it is amazing, but in actuality is it a painfully slow process that never turns out like I wanted. I'm hoping to try the washing machine method soon though, now that I don't have to walk through a layer of mud around the backyard to get to my washing machine, and I

I had no idea sharpie has FABRIC ones. Um…thanks! I think I will have to get my son (just a couple months younger than natalie) some plain t's for summer and get doodling away. I like the constellations too. Also, I hope you're able to get the allergy situation worked out soon. That is no fun.

This is a wonderful idea. I think I will try this for a couple of upcoming showers. Maybe a fun project for my grandchildren over spring break too. Love visiting your blog! So creative and inspiring.

those are cute- my fav is the hashes! super cute!
    her skin looks so sad!!! i hate that, her sweet pale skin just makes it look even more sensitive
    :( poor thing!

I agree about store bought shirts/onesies for girls. Like I want her to grow up thinking she's a "diva" or a "spoiled princess." I also like that no one else has them.

Charity – thanks. Yes, walking through mud to get to your washer…ugh. Glad you don't have to do that anymore!!

Lynette and Cristina – They are so fun! A little pricier, but that's expected.

Michelle and Laura – The hashes are my fave too! Thanks.

Lynn – oh this would be a perfect baby shower activity. Such a good idea! Thank you. :)

Jess and

Have you checked out the Edding Textile pens! Lots of fun colors! I haven't done much of my own fabric making, but they are pretty fun and they work with the Bernina paintworks new paint foot! We've tried them at work and I'm loving them! And for the record… I hate dyeing fabric! Really, NOT my favorite and then worrying about what else may be in the wash with it… NOWAY!

I did something similar to this at a friend's baby shower. I had bought a long sleeve onsie (due date was January in Michigan) and had all the guests sign the onsie. I don't expect it to ever be worn but it's a cute remembrance.

I have been browsing online more than 4 hours today, yet I never found any interesting article like yours.
    It’s pretty worth enough for me. In my opinion, if all website owners and bloggers made good content as you did, the net will be much
    more useful than ever before.

Hello, Neat post. There is an issue together with your website in internet explorer, would test this?

IE nonetheless is the market chief and a huge portion of folks will leave out your great writing because of this problem.