No-Sew Halloween Spiderweb Cape TUTORIAL

With October just around the corner, I’m sharing a Halloween costume tutorial today for

It’s really easy and completely no-sew!
It’s versatile too. I’ve made it into a witch accessory, but you could totally just be a spider web for Halloween and put a huge plastic spider on your back.
All you need is:
fleece fabric – about 1 yard for a small child, 1 1/2-2 yards for an adult
tailor’s chalk or sidewalk chalk
1 yard of ribbon
sharp fabric scissors
ruler or measuring tape
*First, I want to explain why using sidewalk chalk is so great. Regular chalkboard chalk is sometimes hard to draw with on fabric, especially fleece. Sidewalk chalk that has gotten wet and then dried again, is softer and easier to work with on this project.
Tip 1: To ensure you have enough fabric for your cape, you might want to measure how long you want the cape to be before heading to the fabric store. You do this by placing the measuring tape at the back of your neck and letting it hang down your back. Most fleece comes about 55-60 inches wide. If you want to keep this a no-sew project, keep in mind that it needs to be no longer or wider than the width the fleece comes in.
Tip 2: Measuring tape can act as a great over sized protractor when you are marking out your quarter circle. Be sure that the tip of the tape stays at the corner and that you mark the same length all the way across to get the proper arc.

Tip 3: As a general rule, a small child’s neckline radius is about 2 inches and an adult’s is about 3 inches.

Tip 4: If you are worried about the chalk outlines, don’t fret. The sidewalk chalk rubs out very easily. If you have some stubborn spots, rub them out with a damp rag or sponge.
And that’s all there is to it!
The fleece adds a little bit of warmth and there is no worry about fraying.
I didn’t plan on making matching costumes for my daughter and me. In fact, it is pretty uncharacteristic of me to do something like that.
But…somehow it just happened. :) I made a cape for her and decided I just had to have one too!
I dressed up for pictures, but I will likely wear jeans, a sweater and this cape and be a spider web for Halloween. I am pretty low key when it comes to my own Halloween attire.
Although, I have to admit, it is pretty fun to flap around the house in this cape and hat and say, “I’ll get you my pretties!” while I cackle at my children. Halloween is so awesome like that. It brings out the suppressed thespian in almost everyone.
For more great Halloween inspiration, be sure to check out C.R.A.F.T. and Really Awesome Costumes!
P.S. My daughter’s witch dress was made using Look 4 from the Five & Ten Designs Volume One e-book. I’ll share more about that and our witch hats soon.

Comments

Thank you!! I have been a boring witch these last couple of years but NOW I will be an awesome, SPIDERY witch this year! I am so excited! This is great! What about the hat…did you make that? If so, please share the HOW-TO!! You're the best ;)

Wow, Delia you never disappoint! This is really a fantastic spin on the normal witch costume. I'm starting a weekly post on my blog where i want to feature great posts from the last week in sewing blogosphere. I'd like to include your post. Is it ok if I grab a pic from your post?

Love it! Will be making one for a party coming up… I think I will make a hole and tie on ribbons instead of hot gluing them… maybe a row of slits and weave a long ribbon through to make a gathered tie

Oh my gosh, Delia. You are cracking me up. Those pictures are awesome (as usual) and I just love this idea. I would so love to make one of these and wear it to school. My kindergarteners would go nuts.

I love this so much. We go to a great party with the kids every year and I'm always itching to dress up without actually dressing up. I can just wear all black, pin a glittery purple spider to my shirt and call it done. Thank you so much! And I must say, I dig the matching costumes. She'll only be little for a short time, so take advantage. Those pictures are a fantastic memory. And she&#

Ooops — went back and re-read the directions. The yardage is very clearly there. Sorry — evidently I'm also lacking in reading skills.
    Thanks again for a great idea!

i absolutely love it and plan on making one for myself and my granddaughter. a small heads-up, in the first part i thought you might want to see ("the really awesome 2013…") has handmade spelled wrong. please don't take this as a criticism, just passing on info. again, thanks for this wonderful idea!

I have been thinking about this cape for weeks now. So I finally bit the bullet this afternoon and made one for my twins 9th birthday / halloween Party next month. OMG it turned out fantastic – even if I do say so myself. Absolutely love it. Thanks so much for sharing this tutorial Delia, I would never have thought of it myself. Can't wait for Halloween and then my kids party to wear it

Made it today for Family Fun Fest at my son's school tonight. I may have a small blister on my finger though – that was a LOT of cutting! Can't wait to wear it though! My son doesn't want me to be a witch because he says I'm ALWAYS a witch for Halloween so this will be a nice change. Adam thanks you!

I loved this when i found it on a google search. I had no idea what i was going to wear to work for halloween and almost just decided to give up but with this i can make about 7 or 8 different costumes with things i already have. i was also playing around with the extra fabric i cut off for the opening and made a "matching" cape for my weiner dog just for fun, he seems to love your

Trackbacks