Yes…I have MORE art today. :) When you can’t paint the walls, it’s the next best thing. So, I hope you can bear with me.
I’ve been bitten…badly… by the home project bug.
We started changing things in one room of our apartment/town house and pretty soon, I was elbow deep in changing most of the house around, much to my husband’s chagrin. :)
Everything just plain started to bug me. I wanted to revamp it, or get rid of it. I can be a pretty sentimental person, but if I get in the right mood I start purging and editing like crazy…which is me to T these last few weeks.
One of the areas that I was really interested in changing up was Natalie’s room.
Before she was born I made some DIY art her her nursery. Just a grid of 9 12×12 inch canvases with flowers on it.
This time I really wanted to punch it up with some color.
I grabbed some pretty paints and just dove in head first hoping it would pan out…with my camera in tow of course. :)
I started with two milder colors. I squirted a bit here and there right on the canvas, and painted it on with a foam brush to get some good coverage over the old images.
Then I let it mostly dry. Acrylic paint dries fairly quickly, about 15-ish minutes will do ya (depending on the thickness of the paint). Don’t skip this step. If you rush it too much between coats you could end up with a muddled brown mess.
Then I added another layer of some more of the relatively milder colors.
Next, it was time to really add bright color! Instead of a foam brush, I decided to use a nice DRY bristle brush and blend the brighter colors in to really make the whole thing pop. When it got too saturated I got another smaller dry bristle brush to continue the job.
I LOVED how it looked on the table, but when I got it up on the wall… :(. Maybe it was the scale or just my sentimental side telling me a shouldn’t mess with a good thing. I was not happy.
After whining on instagram about it…ha. I got brave and I got some gold paint. With a nice thin wash of gold paint, it looked much much better. With the brush strokes dancing across the canvases. I think it looks happy and fun…just like my Natalie.
I also added in more red accents to the room to help bring it together.
I’ll share more of the room with you soon, including an fun recycled mobile. It is her first mobile actually. In fact, this might be the only mobile any of my kids have ever had. Better late than never I guess!