Schools out and in three shorts days we have already been loving summer. Bike rides, smart fun ;), and pool time!
But let me rewind a couple weeks. Before school got out, Owen’s teacher needed some help with a class art project. She needed something everyone could contribute to, and that could be sold in an auction for a charitable fundraiser the school was holding. I had just pinned this DIY art project from Kate Bullen, and thought it would be perfect.
Just as Kate recommends, I picked up an inexpensive pad of water color paper from the store. Owen’s teacher had all the students paint an abstract painting with school grade water color paint and then sent them home with Owen to me.
I took the paintings and randomly cut them up into triangles (they were warned I would be doing this). I just picked out interesting or definining spots in the paintings and cut around those with my scrapbook paper cutter. I chose at least two triangles from each painting and paper clipped them together, so I would be certain to include every painting at least twice.
Then I made a mosaic from those pieces on top of a 2 ft. by 3 ft. canvas and marveled at how different and wonderfully unique each and every painting was.
It was my favorite part of this project (and the most time consuming).
Once I had things how I wanted them, I glued them down with E-6000 glue, which, believe it or not, is safe for photos! It’s strong enough to last too, which is why I chose it. Water color paper can be quite thick, so I had to place almost every heavy book we own on top of the painting to keep the paper from curling. Of course, I also did this all right next to a wide open window away from children. This is stinky stuff!
Once it was dry, I went back and hot glued the few corners that kept curling. Then, I covered the whole canvas with gel medium. You can use mod podge like Kate did. I just had gel medium on hand and it’s main purpose is to act as a protective top coat to paintings. (Don’t know what gel medium is? I talk about it more HERE.)
The gel medium did cause the water color paint to smear a little, so I went back in and touched up any paint that smeared onto the white canvas with acrylic paint.
I added another coat of gel medium and it was done!
It was such a rewarding project for me to give service to Owen’s school and to his class. I was really proud of the paintings they created and that they all contributed equally to the project.
Owen is in second grade, but I think this project would work with any grade level. Maybe even better for the younger crowd.
I love how the final product is a celebration of how unique and wonderful each individual is. When we all come together, it truly is a beautiful work of art. 🙂